You researched the pros and cons of For Sale By Owner (FSBO), and decided you wanted to try FSBO to sell your home. But now it’s been several weeks – maybe even months – and you haven’t received any reasonable offers. What gives? Below are five possible reasons why your FSBO house is not selling, and what you can do to address them.
Five Reasons Your FSBO Home Isn’t Selling
- The house isn’t priced right. It’s true that many websites will give you some idea of what homes in your area have sold for. But unless you have access to the detailed data Realtors use, you’ve probably priced your home too high for its current condition and location. What to do: If you address all the items in this list and still don’t get any offers, you’ll want to consider reducing your home’s price.
- You aren’t available to show the property to prospective buyers. Most buyers want to see a property as soon as it is online. You could be missing out on potential buyers by just not being home to show your property. What to do: Hire someone to “babysit” your home so it is available for showings.
- You aren’t marketing to the right audience, or a wide enough audience. Licensed real estate agents have the advantage of being able to post homes to the multiple listing service, use exclusive domain names, and leverage social media pros who can reach more buyers interested in your area. What to do: Be sure to post your property on as many social media channels as possible, including marketplaces and similar listings, for better property exposure.
- It’s time to de-clutter your home. While you may love all your all your family pictures and personal items, potential buyers don’t. They want to be able to picture their own belongings in the house – not yours! What to do: Remove all personal mementos to create a cleaner look. Consider hiring a professional home stager if you don’t have time for this.
- The pictures you took of the home don’t make it look good. Photos that are poorly staged or poorly lit detract from the perceived value of a home. If your home doesn’t look great in pictures, prospective buyers will skip right over it. What to do: Get a professional to take inviting photos and videos of your home that showcase its best features. Use these for social media and other listings.
Checked all the boxes – including lowering your price – and still not getting your home sold? Consult with a licensed real estate agent to learn about different options and recommended next steps.